Discovering the desert on horseback, savor the life of a nomad
980 per person
8 days 7 nights
Horse riding in the desert is a wonderful experience for individuals or groups: a horse trek that is divided into two main stages.
The first stage begins in the town of Tameghourte, southeast of Zagora. On the way, you can visit the village of Ouled Driss, before crossing the large Draa palm grove, where you can admire the proliferation of small desert gems: the gardens surrounding the ancient castles of Morocco.
The second stage is instead a total immersion in the natural landscapes. You will cross large spaces, sometimes covered by dunes (erg), sometimes by rocks (reg), gifts of the Sahara desert.
During this experience you will have the opportunity to gallop on the large sandy shelves, walk side by side with your faithful steed, rigorously Arab-Berber, while climbing to the top of Mount Jebel Bani to admire the plain below, with a breathtaking view.
You will ford the Oued Draa river, a stream that allows the cultivation of date palms and watermelons, thus giving life to the small villages that surround it.
You will cross the Touareg villages, placed along the ancient tracks of the famous Paris-Dakar.
Every day will be an incredible discovery on the saddle of our trusty horses, in the spectacular landscapes that the desert offers, where the scorching sun that will slowly lower the horizon will give way to a shining moon in the sky and clearly visible stars, which to be able to touch.
This horse trekking activity is among the most requested, because it allows you to immerse yourself totally in the desert territories, admiring, while on the saddle, panoramas that will remain indelible in your memory and in your photographic shots. A unique activity of its kind, which we at the Ranch love to share with you all the way.
Day 1: Flight with arrival in Casablanca, overnight at the hotel in the airport area (dinner and overnight stay not included)
Day 2-5: Flight with arrival in Casablanca, overnight at the hotel in the airport area (dinner and overnight stay not included), transfer where you will find the horses ready for departure. During the ride in the desert you will cross the last mountain range that separates you from the Sahara. With small bends you continue to reach the top, where you will discover a magnificent panorama. The descent leads to an oasis, on desert plateaus where only a few acacias resist drought. As you advance towards the south, the first dunes approach, whose size progressively increases. Continuing through vast fields of dunes with tamarisk trees in the direction of the Draa valley, you will find houses, palm groves, ksar (fortified villages), you will enter the Draa valley, passing through the dunes, plateaus, and gorges, up to the heart of palm groves. and oasis. Every evening you can enjoy the Tuareg way of life by returning to your bivouac. Dinner and overnight in the bivouac.
Day 6: Dinner and overnight in a campsite in the middle of the desert, with every kind of comfort.
Day 7: Head north on paths that wind through the ksars, cultivated fields with palm groves where impressive dunes threaten to cover up houses and crops. Last stop before departure: the city of Zagora. This stage lasts half a day, arrival is scheduled for lunch time and the afternoon is dedicated to visiting the city of Zagora.
Royal Air Maroc flight, from Zagora 18:55 with Ouarzazate technical stop and arrival in Casablanca at 10:10 pm, dinner and overnight stay not included, in the airport area.
Day 8: Return flight from Casablanca airport
For those who wish to extend their holiday and return via Marrakech, a personalized quote will be made to measure
Logistic note: This type of trekking goes into very rural areas, where water is a very precious and rare commodity, our staff will do everything possible to ensure you a daily supply for the shower, but we count on your sense of responsibility to avoid waste and maximum understanding if water is not found in the wells.
- Maximum weight allowed 90kg (the organization reserves the right not to admit to the trek who does not declare the real weight, if this exceeds the limit, and no refund will be allowed. The health of the horses takes priority)
- Please book a flight with arrival at Casablanca.
Travel insurance required
To book the trek, travel insurance is required to cover cancellation before the trip, illness and covid included
And an insurance that covers during the trip for any illnesses or accidents.
Our clients recommend Mondial Assitance (Allianz Partners) or Nomad Insurance or Amex insurance.
The Ranch De Diabat is equipped with its own insurance, nevertheless each customer is obliged to have his own personal
- Equestrian Level: In order to participate in our treks, you must be comfortable in the three gaits and have the habit of being outdoors. It would be better if you had already done a full day on horseback, if you wish, it is possible to come to us a few days before the trek to benefit from lessons and to know your level., The different equestrian levels will be managed with more guides in order to guarantee the fun for every rider both beginner and with a good equestrian level.
- Accommodation for the first and last night in the hotel IS NOT INCLUDED
- The accommodation during the trek will be in collective tents for 6 people, or if you wish, in a 2-person igloo tent.
- Your bivouac is equipped with a warm water shower.
- Meals : your meals are prepared by our chef, who will make you discover the richness of moroccan cuisine. The menu takes into account participants' special diets or food allergies, which will all be communicated in the registration form.
The perfect suitcase
- Soft and non-rigid suitcase
- Take t-shirts, cotton clothes, long sleeve shirt against the sun, fleece against the wind, two / three riding pants, waterproof poncho
- Hiking boots or shoes, gaiters or leggings, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen.
- Don't forget your sleeping bag, night light, tissues, underwear and medication to prevent intestinal infections.
- Each horse is equipped with a trekking saddle and bags that will allow you to carry your lunch and the personal effects necessary for your day on horseback. Sensitive people are advised to wear sheepskin as protection over the saddle, which is readily available in horse riding shops in Morocco and abroad.
- Don't forget the water bottle.
- Regarding the charging of your mobile phones and cameras, we recommend that you have a good Power Bank with a lot of battery, because electric charging via the truck will not be available every day.